It’s one thing to appreciate how great powdered greens drink mixes can make you feel. But convincing your family to share your enthusiasm may be a bit more challenging.
It’s no secret that getting kids to eat their veggies can often be a tough sell. Green drinks are a perfect vehicle for boosting their daily intake, especially for leafy greens and superfoods – something all kids could benefit from. Adding a spoonful of powdered greens drink mix into a delicious smoothie provides a concentrated source of nutrients to support growing bones and bodies. Here are some tips to turn your family into a green-loving tribe.
How to Get Your Kiddos On Board
- Have your kids help pick out the ingredients from the grocery store or farmer’s market. Studies show that involving kids in the process of preparing their foods helps them eat healthier.
- Let your child pick out their very own fun cup and straw. Tell them it’s just for their super drink – and stick to it. Make sure the cup has a non-spill lid.
- Allow them to help. When possible, have kids wash the fruits and veggies or help in any way that they can.
- Focus on kid-friendly flavors. Begin with a smoothie that you know they’ll love. If you start with one they may not like, it will be very hard to get them to try another green smoothie. Adding spinach is great, because it’s the mildest tasting green. Additionally, adding some fruit like pineapple, mango, or peaches can add sweetness to a green smoothie. You can also start by adding small amounts (1/4 teaspoon) of powdered greens drink mix. Increase the amount gradually over two of three weeks until their smoothie contains a full teaspoon.
- Add non-dairy milks like coconut or flax milk can increase the creaminess, and you can get creative with 100% cacao powder to give it a superfood chocolate flavor.
Now that the kids are on board, there are a few things to keep in mind when selecting the right powdered green drink mix. There are dozens of options on store shelves, so it can be a bit confusing finding the right one. At its core, a high quality powdered drink mix should contain antioxidant-rich chlorella or spirulina, like Kyo-Green Harvest Blend. This nutrient-rich powdered drink mix contains a wholesome blend of organic and naturally-sources grasses, ancient grains, fruits, vegetables, combined with Spirulina to support and protect your immune system.
Always check the ingredient label of whatever powdered greens drink mix you consume, to ensure that it does not contain artificial flavors and colors, high sugar content, chemical sweeteners, emulsifiers and thickeners, or GMO ingredients. One last thing to remember. No matter how much nutrition a product provides, it won’t do you or your family any good if no one will drink it! So find one you can all enjoy.
Interested in more Greens recipes? Check out some additional recipes here, including a “Superhero Smoothie” recipe and “Nut Butter Green Energy Bites.”. Also, make sure to download our ”Great Greens” Healthy Living Guide, which has more information on why greens are so important, kid-friendly green recipes, and more!
This article is for informational purposes only. This article is not, nor is it intended to be, a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment and should never be relied upon for specific medical advice.
Share this Post